Colorado Springs Group Runs

Monday, January 4, 2016

Getting Started with a Coach

My clients over the years have ranged from people who have never run to those wanting to run a marathon fast enough to qualify for the Boston Marathon.  Each type of runner brings his/her unique needs.

What I offer in coaching is not only a training plan that meets your individual needs and goals, but I also offer support for the change you are undertaking.  I am not one to give you just a training plan and send you on your way.  I  like to get to know my athletes (and yes, YOU ARE AN ATHLETE!) as I find that helpful in assisting them toward their goals.  If I know you as a person, I think I can help you achieve your goals easier.

While I am an exercise physiologist by training, I also have a background in psychology and counseling.  I think the combination makes me a good coach.  I value lots of communication whether through email, texts or phone calls.  Face-to-face time is also important if practical (I do some long distance coaching where Skype or FaceTime substitutes).

The coach and athlete enter into a relationship.  In some ways, it is like a dating relationship although the athlete will be sharing more with the coach than the other way around!  We will get to know each other slowly and develop trust.  I will give you workouts that should challenge you and make you a better runner and that will develop the trust you have in me as a coach.  Likewise, I will trust that you will let me know how a workout goes, how you are feeling (emotionally and physically) and give me feedback on what you like and do not like.

At the end of the day, you need to select a coach that you trust and hopefully like.

If you have questions or would like a short consultation, please drop me an email so that we can set a time to chat.

No comments:

Post a Comment